Saturday, January 26, 2008

CHSAA #3-4: Leadville Pursuit!

I got in trouble today with one of the volunteers on the race course. She was a Leadville local and she kindly asked me how my day was going. I said, "The kids are racing, the skis are fast, and it's a beautiful day for Leadville!". Well, she took offense to that, as if I were implying that Leadville is not always a beautiful place to live. I clarified by saying, "What I mean is, I brought 8 jackets to this race and I am only wearing 2 of them."

So all town politics aside, we got lucky with a warm and clear day up in a place that is known for its brutal winter weather. In fact, it was so beautiful that I forgot my camera so there are no pictures.

But the kids did great. Ross was a little disappointed in his first leg and so he stepped it up and totally crushed the second leg to move up in the standings. Linnea had a smile on her face after her first race ever, and Molly and Hilary both skied hard to represent the Oysters on the trails. Zoe showed her potential and her fitness from fall running and put her mark high on the result sheet.

All in all, a great day. We stayed the night before the race at a B&B called "Mountain Hideaway". The owners, Ed and Peri, were super friendly and cooked us about 2oo pancakes in the morning. If you are ever in Leadville, stay there!

No comments: